- 1979: Richard Downey opens the first Richard’s Whole Foods in Sarasota, Florida. From the beginning, Richard’s purpose has been to offer a variety of quality natural and specialty foods, as well as supplements to the public at affordable prices. This is a philosophy the current owner, John Rorer, has sustained as Richard’s continues to grow.
- 1997: Rorer and two partners buy the 6-store Richard’s chain from Richard Downey’s widow.
- 1997–2005: Richard’s grosses approximately $3 million when purchased in 1997, sales doubled in the first two years through upgrading and remodeling the stores By 2004 then company grew to almost $9 million, 12 stores and over 80 employees.
- 2005: Rorer purchases 11 stores and takes over as sole proprietor of Richard’s Whole Foods.
- 2006–2009: Rorer revamps company’s management team and operational structure. He overhauls the brand to be more memorable and initiates phased remodels of all stores.
- 2009: Richard’s Whole Foods is renamed to Richards Foodporium™
- 2009: Richard’s Foodporium becomes the first natural & specialty foods retail franchisor in the nation.
- Today: Richard’s now operates 17 locations. This growth mode is largely attributed to Rorer’s strong business sense and vision